What is a local citation?
A local citation is basically the online business listing that mentions the business logo, name, phone number and address for a business. Citations can appear on websites and apps, on local business directories and on social platforms. Citations impact local search engine rankings and also support the internet users to find out local businesses. To ensure data accuracy local active businesses can manage several citations.
The types of citations
- Major Local Business Data Platforms: Local business marketers and owners can make citations on various essential local business data platforms which are meant to publish the same type of data. Core platforms that involve Acxiom, Infogroup, Google My Business and Localeze. Prime local business listings can also be created on social, popular and review-oriented websites such as Yelp and Facebook.
- Geo/Industry-Specific Platforms: Instances of these platforms would involve websites of professional associations and guilds or the chamber of commerce websites.
- The Wider Web: Supplementary citations can either be earned or built on a great variety of publications that involves news sites, maps, blogs, government databases, apps and much more. You can either earn them based on public interest and merit or develop these citations for your business intentionally.
What are the components?
The key components of a local directory listing are the company’s logo, name, phone number, address and can also involve reference link to a designated webpage on the company’s website. Else a citation can incorporate some of these elements: business description, fax numbers, alternate phone numbers, Geo-coordinate, links to social and other forms of media, driving directions, owner responses, E-mail addresses, attributes and more.
Why do local citations matter?
- Local directory citations positively impact search engine rankings. The search engine relies on the validity of the data which is believed to support the business to rank well.
- Local citations positively impact customers and support people to find out a local business that can result in phone, web and foot traffic.
How does citation relate to active location data management?
Ignoring citation development can lead to damage to reputation, ranking, and revenue. Such as inaccurate citations, To control the process of representation of the business to the world, no strategy for managing and discovering reviews, duplicate local business listing, less strategy for managing citations in the event of rebranding, acquisitions, changes of phone numbers, business moves, no awareness to local business listings, hours of operation or others,